7.11.2012

Pools Rats Never Grow Up

I was a lifeguard for 5 years. 

During that time, you get to know lots of small children.  Lots.

**When I was little and swimming at the pool, I would NEVER talk to the lifeguards.  Ever.  I was scared of them.  These kids.  No fear.  "Hey lifeguard!  Will you fix my goggles?  Hey lifeguard!  Tell him/her to stop splashing me.  Hey lifeguard!  Has anyone ever pulled a "Sandlot" on you?

My favorite pool rat was a girl named Brooklyn.  She called me black girl.  And my little sister Grandma.  Once, she tried to kidnap her (my little sister, Kim) by picking her up (she's tiny, like 100 lbs wet) and putting her in the basket in front of her bike.  But I was always grossed out when she would stick her feet up on the table and say, "LOOOOOK!  Fungus!"

Because its so hot here, swimming is about the only thing we can do outside.  I bought a pool pass for me and the kids and I head up to the pool almost every day.

**I need to get pictures of Cade & Jackson's tan lines.  Jackson has tan lines where his fat rolls are.  His arms are so squishy and chubby that there's white lines where his rolls are/

The same kids who used to come every.single.day when I was a lifeguard 4 years ago, are still there.  Just bigger.  But their moms aren't there anymore to complain that the high chlorine levels (which I could do nothing about) were giving their boys rashes...down there. 

 But now they play with my kids.  And tell me that they're so cute.  And ask them if they want to be airplanes.  And I kind of like them now. 

**Cade loves to float on his back.  Today he said, "Mommy!  Dee (that's how he says Cade) night-night!"


1 comment:

Annie Leavitt said...

5 years! geez louise. i was one for 1 year and couldn't wait to get away from the chlorinated children.

glad you are getting out every day. wish i could say that about us.