7.20.2012

Canvas and a Scare

Remember my $5.00 16 by 20 canvases?

I saw this tutorial floating around the blog world and tried it.  They turned out pretty good, but I don't recommend putting your wet canvas on top of wax paper.  The wax paper leaves weird indentations in the Mod Podge and they never really go away.


I didn't use scrapbook paper on the sides though, like the tutorial I used.  I painted the sides with the same paint I used to cover up any parts of the canvas the picture didn't cover.  I'm glad I decided to use charcoal gray paint instead of black.  It was one of those "brilliant moments" and I didn't even know it was brilliant until after I did it. 

**black & white is actually a misnomer in a way.  More technical would be shades of gray

They're now hanging up above our bed.  The reason you aren't seeing them there?  The walls in our bedroom are planked.  As in bad 70's basement planked.  Aaron told me, "If our walls weren't wood planks, I would like the pictures more I think."

 **I just realized that the couch they're on though is bad 70's floral couch.  Oh well.  I can't win.

**I had a tender mercy yesterday.  I went to the thrift store last Wednesday with my grandma and came home with a really cool old window (only 2 dolla) that I was going to re do and use.  Yesterday I got it out to take out some screws and left it kind of leaning on the table against the wall while I went up to switch the laundry.

I heard a giant CRASH and then screams.  My first reaction was panic.  I could picture the blood.  Everywhere.  Children gouged by giant pieces of glass.

Jackson was only 3 inches from the biggest piece.  Somehow, every single piece missed him and Cade.  Nothing.  No scratches, cuts, or anything.

I realized later that I had had a gentle nudging in my head when I went upstairs, "That window really isn't very sturdy.  I hope it doesn't fall."  I realize now that it was the Holy Ghost telling me my plan was stupid and to move the window.  I thought I was being smart by putting it up high out of children's way.  I'm grateful that they didn't have to pay for my lack of attentiveness.

Cade has been re-enacting the scene.  He'll point to the table, then to the floor, yell, "BOOM!!" and fall to the ground.

I still have plans for the window.  It's just not going to have glass anymore.


No comments: