1.01.2013

Divine Signatures

Aaron has been reading the book by Gerald Lund called Divine Signatures.  

**for those of you who don't know about the book, it's basically a book about tender mercies.  Coincidences that happen that aren't coincidences, but expressions of God's love for us.

It's challenged me.  I want to see more of God's hand in my life.  To be grateful for it.

**I guess this is where writing a journal comes in handy.

I've thought often about how Aaron and I met.  All the different things that had to happen in order for us to meet.  He had to apply to BYU.  I had to live in Wyview.  He had to live in Wyview.  He had to leave for his mission 2 years late.  I had to go to BYU.  We had to be in the same ward (he almost moved out right after he got there).  He had to be the Elders Quorum President.  I had to be the Relief Society President.  He had to be born (his mom's water broke when she was 4 months pregnant with Aaron after she was in a car accident.  She was blessed that if she had faith, all would be well with her baby.  When the doctors did a second ultrasound, they found that the tear in the placenta had healed and had refilled with amniotic fluid and her body didn't go into labor).

No way is it coincidence.

But there are so many ifs, ands, and buts to all the divine signatures or tender mercies.  Many times, it hinges on one person doing or saying something.  Acting.

I went to the temple to celebrate mine and Aaron's 4th anniversary this weekend.  While we were heading up to the sealing room, I heard a baby crying.  I felt the entire time I was hearing this baby cry that I should get up and try to help.  I didn't.  I sat there (because it would have meant leaving the sealing room).  

I don't know what would have happened if I had gotten up.  Maybe the flustered temple worker was praying for help.  Or maybe the parents that their baby girl would be happy.  I don't know.  Maybe she would have screamed with me holding her anyway.  But I'm sad.  I'm sad that I might have missed the opportunity to help provide someone with a tender mercy.

 I'm going to try to do better.

us on December 30, 2008.  



the most recent family picture we have



**I realized this after posting, but Jackson's pants look like something from the Twilight Zone.

2 comments:

Ces and Camille said...

Thanks for sharing! I miss you guys. Too bad we don't live close enough our little boys to play together. :)

Delcie said...

Great post! I love thinking about how the Lord had a hand in my life, but I didn't realized it at the time. Looking back and seeing all the blessings I was given, is so cool! I understand completely about not acting when you feel prompted to do so. I have to say, those times are pretty much the only regrets I have in my life, so far. I try to keep those times in mind, so it helps me stay motivated to act when prompted in the future. I know you'll be great as you continue to ponder your life and try to do the things you know are right. Love you!