5.29.2012

First, does anyone know how to tell my body that I am no longer a teenager and would like my skin to stop acting like it is one?  Zits are no longer welcome.  I passed my teens a long time ago.

We went to my in-laws house in Fruit Heights this weekend.  Story of my life.  The one weekend we're not in the 100's here, is the weekend I leave and go someplace where it snows.  I can never have nice weather.  Ever.

This recipe is one of the meals that we had.  My MIL is brave, and tries new recipes (unlike her daughter-in-law.  I tend to get into a cooking rut), but this is fabulous.  And you sound so talented when you tell someone what it is.

Chicken Satay with a Peanut Chutney and Coconut Rice
  • if you  think of a shorter name, let me know
Marinade:
2 T McCormick Hot Madras Curry Powder
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 cloves minced garlic
2 T sugar
Peanut Chutney:
1 lg white onion-pureed
2 T oil
1 cup peanuts
1/2 to 1 T red pepper flakes*
2 t coriander
2 T soy sauce
1/2 t cumin
3 T brown sugar
2 T lemon juice
1/2 can Coco Lopez cream of coconut (found by the drink mixes)


2 cups white rice
3 to 4 lbs chicken tenders (or about 4 breasts cut into strips)


*my MIL put in the entire tablespoon of red pepper flakes and it was too spicy for me, but I find Hot Tamales hot.


Marinate the chicken for 4-5 hours.  You can either grill the chicken as is, or put it on skewers (makes it look even more gourmet).  Grill until cooked.


For the chutney: Use a food processor to finely chop peanuts (but not to a paste).  Brown pureed onion in 2 T oil in skillet.  Add peanuts, spices, brown sugar, lemon juice, and soy sauce.  Add 1/2 can Coco Lopez (use remaining 1/2 can as part of liquid to cook rice in.  Use 4 cups of water/Coco Lopez to 2 cups rice).  Simmer chutney on stove top for 15 minutes, stirring often.  Serve chicken and chutney over rice.

1 comment:

Blair said...

Maybe I'll be brave and try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!