5.15.2012

Potty Training

I didn't think I was going to get to write a post about this for at LEAST another year. 

A couple of weeks ago we were at the library.  Cade runs to me with a really concerned look on his face and says, "Mommy!  Poo poo." 

I checked his diaper and nothing.  So I asked him if he needed to go poo poo and wanted to go on the potty.  We hurried to the bathroom, but by the time I ran back to Jackson and could get Cade on the toilet, it was too late.  The deed was done. 

(I had left my diaper bag in the car thinking, I won't need it.  We just changed diapers, they don't need snacks, and my library card is on my key chain)  Every time I think I won't need my diaper bag.  I do.

Cade hates to leave the library.  I spend most of my time debating if I'll look like a terrible mother to leave him in the front of the library while I rush off to the car to deposit my 27 lb chunka lunka and then race back to get him.  Because the library faces the only main road in Overton, I always opt for the second, more safe option, of dragging Cade across the concrete and the pavement while he screams the whole way.

We're still diaperless at this point.

I get to the car, put Jackson in the car-seat and try to convince Cade to let me put on his diaper.  He's crawled in the backseat of our van so that he can try and buckle the seatbelt.  Another 5 minutes later and I hear, "Mommy, wet!  WET!"

I told him that's what happens when we go pee-pee on the floor and not in the potty.  He looks at me, and I saw one of those light-bulb moments happen in his mind.  A diaper wicks the moisture away from him, so he never feels that he's wet when he's peeing. 

This last Wednesday (6 days ago), I dropped Jackson off with my little sister Stephanie and Cade and I spent the whole day learning that we don't go pee pee on the floor, we go pee pee in the potty. 

And I think we have success.

I tried really hard not to push him past what he was ready for.  I don't want to traumatize him and make it so that he never goes, but the past three days he's come up to me and said, "Mommy!  Pee pee!" or "Mommy!  Poo poo!" and we race to the bathroom and there he goes.  He's stayed dry in his big boy underwear during his nap and all through church.  The only time he has an accident is if he's doing something really fun (like throwing water balloons at daddy). 

HURRAY!

*his reward if he goes pee pee or poo poo in the potty is to watch "Y" (Super Why) on Daddy's iPad.  He'll occasionally switch over to the Bible videos done by the church to watch Jesus or play a game of angry birds or temple run, but Super Why is his favorite.


1 comment:

Allyson said...

That is awesome! I wish Weston would have wanted to earlier but he never had any desire. We would ask him and he would always say no but I decided we needed to just do it last week and so far he has done really great. I am worried if tell people he is doing so good I might jinx myself!