3.04.2009

Personality Test

Today in my religion class we talked about communication. Since my professor is a family therapist, it's kind of cool because he can bring in actual stories about problems that other couples have. He told us, that most of the time, the problems in communication arise because they're just different personalities and they don't know how to adapt their personality to fit the other. I really liked that about him. I think that's one of the biggest problems is that you try to change/fix your spouse instead of trying to adapt to what made you love them in the first place. Sister Wendy Watson Nelson (Russell M. Nelson's wife) came and talked to us for an Enrichment Activity and one of the things that she told us was "Imagine that the thing which irritates you the most, is the one way that your husband has of showing you how much he loves you." It makes it easier to deal with something that's irritating when you just tell yourself, this is him trying to tell me that he loves me.

Anywho, personality test. He put up 4 different personalities and described each one of them. I wasn't really able to decide which one sounded most like me, but I think it's kind of interesting to think about and learn about.

Dominant
  • concerned about the bottom line
  • task-oriented
  • gets things done
  • will tell you, rather than ask you
  • time is very important to them
  • usually offend easily, but offense is unintended
  • best way to deal with a dominant personality is to take them seriously but not personally
Expressive
  • energetic
  • fast thinkers and fast talkers
  • use their hands to express themselves. Ask an expressive to clasp their hands in front while talking, and they'll have a hard time talking
  • relationships are very important
  • want everyone to like them
  • can't say no, tend to over-commit themselves
  • usually thinks out loud
  • physical touch is very important
  • creative
Analytical
  • think about everything
  • ask lots of questions to understand
  • can't leave things undone and it must be perfect the first time
  • get really excited about a deal
  • need a lot of information before they can make a decision
  • have a checklist-but not so much excited about getting it done, as they are about checking something off
Amiable
  • nice
  • like working in a group, team oriented
  • one of their biggest motivations is making other people happy, even if it makes them unhappy or suffer
  • need to be asked, rather than told
  • uncomfortable with touch, prefer some distance
  • get sidetracked from their list
  • don't get upset often
  • will avoid conflict at all cost
Have fun with deciding which one you are. There's also another personality test that I've taken a couple of times called the color test. It assigns specific personalities different colors according to their motivations. I took it, and found out that I'm 47.5% Red, which is kind of depressing because among the famous people that he names who are red, are some dictators.

Congratulations you are a RED.

Reds are motivated by Power. They seek productivity and need to look good to others. Simply stated, reds want their own way. They like to be in the driver's seat and willingly pay the price to be in a leadership role. Reds value whatever gets them ahead in life, whether it be in their careers, school endeavors, or personal life. What reds value, they get done. They are often workaholics. They will, however, resist doing anything that doesn't interest them.

Not the most flattering thing, so thankfully, I'm not even half that. Promise. If you're interested, you can take the test at http://www.colorcode.com/personality_test/ Enjoy.

3 comments:

Marielle said...

I totally love the color code test! I'm a yellow and my husband (and all of my very best friends) have red personalities. I really think that once you take the test and know what your color is, it helps you to know how to deal with people.

Fun!

Doug & Jessica Hansen said...

Haha. I agree with you that you aren't totally Red! Red would be my father all the way. That first personality test was interesting. I don't think I could totally decide which I was because I was a little of everything. Just curious what did you decide you were?

Rachelle said...

Jess, if I absolutely had to pick it would probably be analytical and dominant. I notice the dominant part of my personality when I shower and get ready. I just like to be done so I can move on to the next thing.