1.19.2012

Trusting God

Our Relief Society lesson this past Sunday was on the life of President George Albert Smith and I have been thinking about a statement this entire week since.
 
(for a person who usually doesn't really remember anything in particular that was mentioned, this is big.  I feel like this is something the Spirit wants me to learn).

"The Lord will take care of you in times of danger, if you will give him the opportunity."

Wow.  

I believe that President Smith wasn't only talking about times of danger, but about any circumstance.  So often I pray for something, saying, "Heavenly Father please...." and then when it doesn't happen I assume that it's His will, when he just might be waiting for me to do it. 

For our family scripture study we just got finished reading the first "war chapter" in Alma.  Moroni said something that struck me and it goes along perfectly with what I've been talking about

"Now I cannot recall the words which I have spoken, therefore as the Lord liveth, ye shall not depart except ye depart with an oath that ye will not return again against us to war. Now as ye are in our hands we will spill your blood upon the ground, or ye shall submit to the conditions which I have proposed." (Alma 44:11)

Now what struck me was that Moroni knew  that they would win.  He didn't just pray to Heavenly Father that morning that the Nephites would win and then hope they would because it just might be God's will.  

No. 

He said, 

Heavenly Father, we're fighting for what's right and we're fighting for the right reasons, and I  EXPECT  you to help us win.  I EXPECT to win, because I'm doing what I'm supposed to. 

Moroni was giving Heavenly Father the opportunity to bless him and to keep them safe. 

The scriptures promise us all the time that Heavenly Father will give us whatever we ask if it's right.  The Bible Dictionary says, "The object of prayer...is to secure for ourselves...blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them."  And I think Heavenly Father wants us to ask with some gumption.  How else do we show Him that we believe Him when He says that He wants to bless us?


  
 

 

No comments: