12.07.2010

Rights Overload

I just read this article about Proposition 8 in California.  It makes me so angry when the basis of the plaintiff's argument is that marriage is a right, and that because it is a fundamental right, Proposition 8 violates the equal protection clause of the Constitution.


I'm sorry, but marriage is not a right.  It's a privilege.


Here's my reasoning.


Is polygamy/bigamy allowed?

Will we let first cousins marry? (okay, so some states will, but it is not a country wide thing)

Will we let a father marry his daughter?  Or a mother her son?  Or an uncle his niece?

Will we let someone marry their dog? (or any other pet/animal)

In Europe, marriages performed in the LDS temples are not recognized as valid.  They must first marry civilly, and then they can be sealed.  If they chose to only participate in the sealing, their marriage is not recogized as lawful, and so God or the church won't recognize it either.

So, we deny the right to marry whomever we choose to heterosexual couples as well.  Why?  Because we see it as morally reprehensible to let one man marry more than one woman, because it is likely that children born to extremely close relatives can be genetically "awkward".  Why are those okay arguments for denying those forms of marriage, but for homosexual marriages are seen as "bigoted" and "narrow-minded"?

I'm not going to end with a caveat about how homosexuals are good people blah blah blah, because they are, that's not what this post is about.

The argument that love makes everything okay, that because we love the person whatever they want to do is acceptable, is wrong.  I love Cade, and I love him more than I love his happiness, and so, I'm not going to let him stick something into an electric outlet, even though, I know it would make him happy (for a second anyway).

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Nicely written! And so true. Thank you!

Kendra and Karl said...

I agree. You made some really great points. I think you should go into law. ;)

Ashly and Josh said...

hahaha I love the electrical outlet theory. Vote for Rachelle!

Allyson said...

So true. I like how you put it.

Megan said...

I agree with you in everything! I think you said it perfectly. What I keep thinking about is how Christ loved everyone, even the sinners, and was frequently found among those who weren't accepted by society. But even though He loved them, He still taught them that what they were doing was wrong and they needed to repent. That didn't mean He loved them less or were trying to deny them rights, He loved them so much He wanted them to be happy and do the things that would grant them eternal life and live with Him again. But even though He loved them, He wasn't going to let them hurt themselves.

Basically that is the same analogy as the outlet story you gave, haha. But I just wanted to chime in too. Thanks for sharing your great post!! And I'm sorry about the rude comments on Facebook. It makes me mad.... I will delete them if they continue being stupid.