7.12.2012

Scared To Change

Have any of you ever experienced this?  Where you know you should change something about yourself?  But you're afraid.  Afraid of what you'll have to give up.  What you'll miss.  What you'll become?

Lately, this struggle has been about my diet.

I took lots of nutrition, physiology, and anatomy classes at BYU (my major was exercise science).  I KNOW what the people are saying about eating more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains is right, and that processed foods do little or nothing for you.  I also know that God has been saying the same thing for nearly 200 years.

But I'm afraid.

I'm afraid to clean out the pantry.  Toss the junk.

I like A, B, C, and D.  I don't want to have to not eat them again.  I don't want my kids to be the weirdos at school.  I don't want to be considered weird.

But I also don't want to have heart disease.  Cancer.  Poor bone strength.  I really believe that the increase in autism isn't from vaccinations, but from the chemicals in the food we eat.  Same with ADD, ADHD, and dyslexia.

**I am not saying that all of these disease are caused directly or because of food.  I understand that disease happens.  It will always happen.  But we can do more to prevent it.  Not just treat it.


It's funny.  I watch documentaries, get all gung-ho and then stop.  I don't do it.  I don't clean out my pantry and toss everything.  I don't buy more fruits and veggies.  I just sit there and wish I could do it.  I've built up in my mind how hard its going to be.  What a sacrifice.  Then I start to justify.  It's okay.  The FDA wouldn't approve it if it wasn't safe.  Thousands of people eat this and don't die.  I'm not sick. 

GAH!

**I came back and started writing more after a few hours, and already my desire to change has fizzled.  I've rationalized it away. 

5 comments:

Annie Leavitt said...

we all do it rachelle. i just watched a HORRIBLE news clip about the antibiotics and hormones in chickens. and i KNOW i have to get chickens and start a garden. but i just am scared too.

ps: i watched a doc that said the FDA scientists don't perform any of the studies, the food companies hire their own scientists to perform the studies, and then they send the studies that they've chosen to the fda to be reviewed. totally crazy huh? that's why all the healthy foods and companies aren't fda approved, no crazy cooperate monopoly monster funding.

Kendra and Karl said...

I totally agree. I look at myself in the mirror and get all the motivation I need to clean out the pantry and actually start exercising. Then I get downstairs. There is no mirror down there. Just great treats, a comfy couch, and a good movie. I don't really want to give those up. I know, I'm pathetic. I really don't want Paige to grow up eating tons of fattening treats, getting obese, or just being a couch potato. But if I want a better healthy life for her I need to make some changes now so that she can have a good example.

Chanell said...

Ditto!!!! I've actually done really well to eat more fruits and veggies cause I want b to get those nutrients from my milk... but I think um way worse at eating more treats now too... nursing seems to give me the munchies 24/7... then when I go to work I eat and eat to help keep me awake....
Annie- you should totally plant a garden... I absolutely love ours!!! And if I had the yard I would have chickens but lucky for us my mom and grandparents give us fresh eggs :)

Jubal and Aurelia said...

I've been feeling so not good the past few months, no energy and no motivation and gaining weight. Yuck. I am reading a book right now about cutting all sugar from my diet, and I actually am really liking it. It makes a lot of sense in my mind, and it is very Word of Wisdom-y. At this point I'm willing to try anything just to feel better.

Our Family said...

You have to find what is motivating you- whether it's motivation to stay the same, or to change. Don't take it all on at once and I would say don't do all or none. When we deprive we usually set up for failure. Pick one food a month to eat more of that's healthy.... you might be surprised that the bad naturally wean themselves out. Check out Eating Intuitively. A book about relationship with food.