2.02.2011

Lupercalia Dilemma

I am NOT a fan of Valentine's Day.

I think the only time I ever liked it was when you made valentine holders in elementary school, and everyone had to give a valentine to everyone, and you could always tell who the rich kids were because they had candy with their valentine, and so you liked theirs' the best.

I like it slightly better now that I'm married and not single, but still...imagine trying to be romantic in a tub (or bathroom) barely big enough for your 9-month-old (don't even get me started about the lack of counter space).

I don't know about the rest of you, but it is so hard to buy something for Aaron, and I feel bad making him just get me presents.  Plus, I like to give gifts.

But he's the type of guy who follows the "wear it out or do without" philosophy, which is fine and dandy (except when it comes to things like garments and socks, like the fact that he still has garments THAT HE WEARS from before his mission.  He left in '04, you do the math).

So I decided that rather than try and find something in the store that he'll appreciate and use (which is a big requirement for me in gift-purchasing), I'm going to be cheesy and make him up one of those little coupon books.  Poor little guy.  His coupon for a back massage is going to be for a 5 minute back massage because that's about all my fingers can handle.  



[FYI-Lupercalia was observed in ancient Rome from Feb. 13-15, and was a fertility festival.  Apparently the pope didn't think that fit very well with the Christian religion, so he, um...picked something more P.C.]

4 comments:

Kendra and Karl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kendra and Karl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

um, hi. our husbands are the same. no joke! adam HATES spending money on himself especially if it's frivolous (unless its electronics or something...) he also has his old garments too and it's like twisting his arm to go get new ones. soooo frustrating! I did the coupon thing though for Christmas. though now that I think about it it would probably be a better Valentine's gift. but I included stuff like "alone time" so he can have a break if he needs it when Eli gets crazy. or playing a game that he likes. and stuff like that. so that was a hit with him! I hope aaron likes it too

Ashley said...

i think the coupon book is a way cute iddea!!!!